Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Me and Eric Liddle

I am glad God made us all different. How boring would it be if we all did the same thing in the same way.

I am thankful for all the different jobs that people do. I am thankful for the job that God has given Carl and that it affords me the opportunity to do the job that I love.

I love being a mama. I love to hover and offer comfort. I love to anticipate needs and have that drink of water ready for you before you even know you are thirsty. I love to hold your hand while you are getting blood drawn or having an I V put in.

Yesterday my friend, Cara, needed me. She called the day before, very apologetic, needing a ride home from the hospital after some out patient surgery. " No big deal," she said, "If you could just take me home afterwards." I have had out patient surgery and I don't like going in by myself so I suggested to Cara that she drive to my house and we go together.

She agreed.

We got to the hospital and began the process of checking in. When the check-in lady found out that Cara worked at the hospital, she told her to shout that from the roof tops as she was getting treated. The folks at the hospital could not have been nicer and they got even nicer when they realized they were treating one of their own.

I got to hold her hand as they drew blood and got the IV all set up. Cara is a nurse so she watching all this happen. I had my head turned the whole time. My distractions methods weren't needed on her here. They put a really cool paper sheet on her that had baffles in it. They hooked up a blower to it and it became a warm blanket.

We chatted after they had done all the pre-op stuff as we waited on the surgery. We laughed as I told her stories about my children. She especially liked the story about when Andrew plus Carl and I went to the oral surgeon for the visit before you get your wisdom teeth out. We had to watch a video about getting your wisdom teeth and any pain you may have and what to expect etc. When the nurse came back, after the dvd was over, to ask if we had any questions, Andrew, with a straight face, asked for a copy of the dvd. He said that he really enjoyed it. Needless to say she was stunned and I can honesty say she probably had never been asked that question before.

I kissed Cara good bye as the Versaid (not sure how to spell the drug that makes all things good) began to make her smile really big. She was on to surgery and me to the waiting room.

Now I could write a whole blog about the waiting room but I will suffice to say the I did finish my book despite the man near me that was reading the close-captioning from the TV out loud. Wait, I should say...OUT LOUD. Interesting folks.

I got the call when her surgery began, talked to the surgeon when her procedure was over, and after about 3 hours got to see her in recovery. She found out in recovery that she can't drive for 24 hours. She stayed the night. She is sleeping in Kaitlin's bed even as I write.

I talked to her mama who is several states away in body but her heart is here. She thanked me so much for loving on her doll baby and keeping her updated on her progress.

As we got home, Cara thanked for the hundredth time for taking care of her. I loved doing it. I thought about what Eric Liddle said when asked about his running. He said " I believe that God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. When I run I feel His pleasure.

When I am mothering, I feel His pleasure.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails