Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Addie Lou, I love you

I love calendars. For Christmas each year I ask for and receive usually 7 of them. I have one on my desk that I write down appointments/ birthdays etc and then try to journal what all happened that day. I have wall calendars in my bedroom(2), kitchen(2) and John's room. I have two more that I have yet to hang. I plan to hang them down in the wreck room so I can enjoy them as I work down there. I love Americana Calendars like Charles Wysocki and those from Lang. I enjoy birds and art too. Calendars are an easy way to bring these into your daily viewing.

I have a Mary Engelbreit desk top calendar on my kitchen counter. The one with tear off pages. This calendar is fun because everyday I get a different picture and/or happy thought. When I get this calendar, I spend the first few minutes going through and looking at the pictures of several of the key dates in my life: March 10, April 7, April 8, April 14, May 1, May 13, May 17, May 22, June 11, June 30, July 8, August 16, August 21, Sept 20, Sept 22, Oct 7, Dec 10, Dec 19.

Those dates represent lots of birthdays of family members and some ebenezers. An Ebenezer is a "stone of help," or a reminder of God’s Real, Holy Presence and Divine aid. Spiritually and theologically speaking, an Ebenezer can be nearly anything that reminds us of God’s presence and help: the Bible, the Sacramental Elements, a cross, a picture, a fellow believer, a hymn – those things which serve as reminders of God’s love, God’s Real Presence, and God’s assistance are "Ebenezers."

Today is an ebenezer for me. I look back on this date and see how far God has brought me since 1996. 13 years ago today my sweet mama died. God has faithfully met me in my grief. Today I am rejoicing in all that my mama taught me. She had a love of reading, of art, of learning, and of laughter. She often said " Bloom where you are planted." and "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

I am blest to have had such a wonderful mama.

I think I shall celebrate by reading The Thread That Runs So True by Jesse Stuart. Mama loved Jesse Stuart. This is the book we are reading for our bookclub this month. I picked it so I'd have a good excuse to read it again.

Do you have ebenezer dates?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellen,I still remember you going through the death of your mama those years ago!Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm remembering you especially today as you remember your dear mama! Love, Kim B.

fgpuckett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fgpuckett said...

Oh... that's so touching, Ellen. I like the allusion to Ebenezer.

I'd plumb forgotten that Mrs. Puckett died 13 years ago today. What a sad day that was too. It was so sudden because she had been on an upswing the week before. Anyway, she would definitely want us to keep on reading, and going to Disney world, and playing games and loving life... just like she did.

Pam said...

Addie Lou was such a special person in my life and always will be. She really made a big impact on my life and I miss her, too. I really wish my husband and kids could have met her - although I know one day they will! You know you remind me a lot of her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails