Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Yes , we ate corn

This past week we went to Iowa for a family wedding. Alex and Esther got married. Kaitlin was the photographer. I'd love to put pictures up and I hope to but part of my tech support is sleeping and the other half is at work so we will post pictures soon.

We left Thursday after John got home from his summer classes. Our destination was St Louis. It was a wonderful, uneventful trip. We didn't realize that John had never been to St Louis. So we toured downtown. Carl even parked by the water front and Kaitlin, Marisa and John ran up the stairs to the Arch and took lots of pictures. Andrew and Taylor flew in at 11pm and rode the hotel shuttle over to our motel. I could kick myself for not thinking to call friends we have in St Louis to let them know we were coming. Next time.

Friday we left at 8am bound for Iowa City, Iowa. We made it there in the early afternoon. We drove up to our motel and one of Carl's brothers was sitting outside of it. Most of Carl's family was staying in the same motel! That was unexpected and added to our fun. We ate lunch at the mall and then headed to the rehearsal. Alex and Esther wanted a small wedding with no attendants. They often chatted with Kaitlin before the wedding about pictures and such. One question they asked was what do attendants do in the wedding. Kaitlin said that they move the bride's train, hold the flowers and the rings. Esther got a dress with no train, had a vase at the front of the church for her flowers and the pastor had the rings. Very clever thinking I thought( that's a whole lot of thinking don't you think?)

The rehearsal dinner was at the church. We had grilled hot dogs and hamburgers with all the trimmings. It was a great family time. All of Carl's brothers were there but one and all the grandchildren were there but one. We were a party of 31 and that is just family. How cool is that?!

The day of the wedding we were at the church at 9 to get pictures of the getting ready. Sarah fixed Esther's hair and make-up. Sarah is married to Alex's older brother, Charlie. She is an artist with a curling iron and an eyeliner pencil. It was fun to watch. We took all the pictures ahead of time that could be taken without the bride and groom seeing each other. The wedding was at 1. It was beautiful. I liked the congregational singing. I just looked for my program to tell you what we sang but I can't find it. Maybe when tech support wakes up she can help with that too. After the pictures in the church of all the family's the couple went to the reception which was in the fellowship hall. We had cake, nuts and mints. Alex's grandmother on his mother's side made the cake. It was delicious. It was chocolate and white mixed.

Alex and Esther left the reception in our car with Carl driving and Kaitlin in the front seat. Esther wanted some pictures made at special places around Iowa City. After that photo shoot Carl took them to Alex's truck that had been decorated well by Andrew and William.

I had hoped that all the family could eat supper together after the wedding but I wasn't really in on the plans so I went along for the ride. Boy, was I surprised.

We went to a restaurant near Amana, Iowa. They had a room set up for us. After Carl's brother, Raymond said the blessing, Carl stood up. He talked about how almost 30 years ago- our anniversary is June 30- at his rehearsal dinner his brothers had put a ball and chain on him so he could get used to married life. He wanted to present me with a ball and chain of my own and then he gave me a beautiful pearl necklace. I am still stunned. Pictures to follow- lots of sleeping going on here. I knew nothing. Carl had arranged for the place to eat and had picked out the food and got the gift wow and wow and wow.

On Sunday we left at 7:30 to get Andrew and Taylor back for a 1:30 flight out of St Louis. We got home about 6.

My nephew, Thomas also flew to the wedding. He left from Atlanta on Thursday and flew to Cedar Rapids, IA. He checked a bag. I am not sure where his bag flew to. It never arrived while we were there. Thomas wore cousin Willy clothes to the wedding on Saturday and after that he went shopping for some clothes. As he was at the airport to fly home with still no suitcase, the plane got a flat tire. Aunt Marian and Uncle Sherrel drove and got him and he rode back to Atlanta with Meredith. As they were driving, he got a call- his suitcase was in Cedar Rapids! The last I heard the suitcase had been to Mongomery, AL and back to Cedar Rapids. Thomas had a great attitude about the whole thing. He would joke that he brought clothes that all looked alike and now I've heard he is going to ask for all the frequent flyer miles for himself that his suitcase has!


Kaitlin's blog has pictures Here too

enjoy!

2 comments:

Transforming Julie said...

Whew! Have you recovered from that action packed trip? Sounds like a great time, Bubbles. Can't wait to see your "ball and chain".

Anonymous said...

Ah, I absolutely love Iowa! One of my very best friends has lived in Cedar Rapids since she got married 4 years ago, and we’ve had a lot of fun on our visits. We toured Kalona and shopped at the Amish general store, visited the Amana colonies, and toured the university in Iowa City. Oh, and had the VERY best chocolate ever from Bochner’s, also in Iowa City. In the fall we visit the haunted corn maize, and in the spring there is tulip festival about an hour away – and I mustn’t forget the Czech museum!

In short, I am happy that you all had such a wonderful time, and sad that it will be many months before I can head back to Iowa myself!

Jessica

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails