Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I do like AUBURN but you can like your team and I am ok with that

At the end of my post from my first Bible Study I mentioned that I'd like God to show me GENTLY my sin.

The study last week was on meekness. One of the characteristics of a meek person is that they don't answer back. I am laughing at God and His sense of humor for the timing of meekness.

This week is the AUBURN/ arkansas football game. I don't do well with folks getting in my face and yelling at me. I really don't do well with folks getting in my face and yelling about something that I have had nothing to do with. When this week rolls around each year, I just have to get my game face on and turn the other cheek. In years past I have had arkansas fans call and leave pig snorting noises on my answering machine, rabid fans stick their tongues out at me at church after an AUBURN win, yell at me for a call a referee made during a game that went AUBURN'S way, etc. Are you getting this picture?

Another thing that bothers me is, if you are going to trash talk me, know what you are talking about. Don't ask me about the game when you know my team lost and you don't even know the score. I know the score is the determining factor in whether AUBURN wins or not but don't tell me that your team ran all over my team when the game was closer than the score indicates.

I thought this year would be great, I'd just fly under the radar. Wrong.

I went to Physical Therapy for the first time in 3 months last week. My PT was working with someone, I hesitate to say a 'Lady' because my mama would say her behavior was not very ladylike. My, PT, Michael is a wonderful sports fan. He is even an arkansas fan but he can talk about the game without just saying, "You lost!" Michael and I began immediately talking College football. Would Tebow start against LSU? Is alabama really that good? Is Mustain every going to play? Is Urban Meyer going to leave Florida for Notre Dame? We talked a little about the hogs. Above said 'lady' then jumped in and added her 2 cents about how much she loves the hogs. Great, I have no problem with loving your team. She then said those fateful words " So, are you a hog fan?" I just smiled and didn't plan to say a word. I was just going to mind my business. My former friend and PT, Michael, threw me under the bus. "No, she is an AUBURN fan." He said with a big smile on his face. The woman came up off the machine that she was exercising on and got in my face and said "GO HOGS!" I was stunned but not surprised. I just kept smiling and thought to myself 'I don't want to show up when this person is here again.'

I went to PT again today.

So did she.

I was barely in the door when she jumped off the machine she was on and again got in my face with her " Go Hogs!" This time she even stunned Michael with her fervency. He gently told her to get back to her exercising.

Oh well. I am trying to work on my meekness Lord! Or rather , He is working on my meekness by allowing me get in situations where I just need to smile and nod and not defend myself or my team.

Go Team!

4 comments:

Sarah Barry said...

it is especially difficult to be meek when we know that deep down God is an Auburn fan Himself. war eagle!

Lisa Cosper said...

Wow! That's a tough one. Sounds like one unpleasant Razorback fan you're dealing with there. College sports is one thing that really gets my blood boiling, so I'm impressed with your response to her! She sounds pretty obnoxious. Good luck to Auburn this weekend!

Lisa Cosper said...

Oh...and GO HEELS! :)

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you Ellen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails