Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

It's a holiday!

In these earlier posts You found out that I love poetry.Poem in your pocket day and Poems from my friends.

I saw from Twitter this morning that Today is National Poetry Day!

Here is another of my favorites

The Worm by Ralph Bergengren

When the earth is turned in spring
The worms are fat as anything,

And birds come flying all around
To eat the worms right off the ground.

They like worms just as much as I
Like bread and milk and apple pie.

And once, when I was very young
I put a worm right on my tongue,

I didn't like the taste a bit,
And so I didn't swallow it.

But oh, it makes my mother squirm
Because she thinks I ate the worm!

And here is one that Kaitlin has always loved

Singing-Time by Rose Fyleman

I wake in the morning early
And always, the very first thing,
I poke out my head and I sit up in bed
And I sing and I sing and I sing.

Do you have a favorite poem?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

Kathy B said...

This Wordsworth poem always did it for me. :)


"Daffodils" (1804)

I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

By William Wordsworth (1770-1850)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails