Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Libraries and Mama and Friends

Grief is an interesting thing.
I wish it would announce that it is about to overwhelm you so you could get in a safe place but it doesn't.

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to Not Buy as many books but I know I will still read lots this year, so, I need to go to the library.

The Library.

I love the library and I always have. My mama's water broke with me when she was in the library so my love for the place started at a very early age.

My mother was a librarian all her life with her love of books, reading and all manner of learning. She was employed as one for 10 years of her life too.

I have many of her books. I love reading them and running my hands over them as I pass by the shelf they are on. I don't have them all in one area but all over so that I can see them in every bookcase I have.

Marisa is very patience to listen to stories of my mama and Mama's books bring out many stories.

After Mama died I couldn't got to the library for awhile. It was too hard for me.

With my New Year's Resolution I needed to go back to the library. I've been twice in January. I love my library. It is Southwestern in design, all on one level, not too big but it has a nice 'new book' section. Also, I can get online and have books from all over the system sent to my library.

It was hard going back.

The first time I walked in, I had to walk right back out again- too painful.

I went again yesterday. I had ordered two books: Miss Buncle's Book by DE Stevenson and Leaving Yesterday by Kathryn Cushman. I went in to get them and walk back out if need be. I was able to stay longer. I walked up and down every aisle in the adult section- looking and smelling and just savoring. It was wonderful, like meeting up with an old friend again.

As I got ready to leave, a lady came into the library. She greeted the librarians like old friends and they, her. She talked a minute about the bad weather that was expected here and then she said that most folks stock up on milk and bread during an ice storm but she stocks up on books.

That sounded just like something my mama would have said! I felt so at home.

My books are all 14 day books so I am planning another trip in two weeks, if not sooner. It feels good to be home again.


2 comments:

Kathy B said...

It made me smile to read this. Bet your momma smiled too. :)

Laura said...

Yay! Your mom would be pleased! And I'll bet you love the D.E. Stevenson book, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails