Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Get your Library Cards Ready!

I have never written down a list of the books I have read.

My sister in law, Elaine, gave me a book for Christmas, that I have faithfully been writing the titles of the books I have been reading in.
Here goes:

Leaving Yesterday by Kathryn Cushman. Very good. It was a quick read and thought provoking. It made me wonder just how far would I go to protect my children. I read it while the power was out in our house in February. It kept my mind off how cold, hungry and mad I was that the power was out- well, it mostly took my mind off those things.

Miss Buncle's Book by D E Stevenson. I found D. E. Stevenson from a blog on my blogroll and what a feast I am having on her books. This book is very sweet and funny and you will love it and will be so glad there is a sequel. Miss Buncle is very observant and writes a book about her neighbors. The hilariousness that follows will keep you laughing.

At the Scent of Water by Linda Nichols. This book grabbed me from the first page. It is a book about forgiveness and family's and life. This book made me cry but there was enough hope so that it was not a downer.

My friend, Monica, got me on a Grace Livingston Hill kick. I found a list of her books that all have a Christmas scene in them! The Substitute Guest is a delightful book. One of my favorite lines is ...and wrapping paper and ribbon made a bright confusion everywhere. Can't you just picture that? The Prodigal Girl is by the same author and has the same review. Quick, pleasant read.

Miss Buncle Married by D. E. Stevenson. Just wonderful. Not quite as good as the first but you will enjoy it.

The Church Ladies by Lisa Samson. Very good. I have read one other book of hers and now I plan to read them all. In this book, forgiveness plays a key role.

New Mercies by Sandra Dallas. I also plan to read all her books. There were twists and turns in here that I didn't see coming. Very good. I tried to read Tallgrass by her but I couldn't get into it. I may try it again later.

Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas. What a good book. I plan to reread this again soon so that I can gleam so more of the wisdom out of it.

The Listening Valley by D. E, Stevenson. just wonderful. breath of fresh air.

The Canopy by Angela Hunt. I cannot recommend this book and I don't plan to read any more of this author. From the beginning you know that the author has an agenda. I was ok with that. Her writing style made me want to find out what happened in the book and to the people. The book has 394 pages. On page 367 she introduced all these weird spirits that I didn't feel added to the story, they just weirded me out. I skimmed the last pages to find out the rest of the story but didn't enjoy it.

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. This book was so good. The setting is 1986 and WWII. It is the story about WWII and the affect it had on one family. I couldn't put this book down. I had to tell the story to Marisa and Kaitlin so they could enjoy it with me.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved reading these reviews! Makes me want to get my hands on several of them. :) Since I'm in the mood for a lovely, charming read (like a Jan Karon novel, but I've read all of those) can you give me a recommendation?

Laura said...

I LOVE D.E. Stevenson! Your reviews are great - I'm unfamiliar with a lot of those titles so I'm making a list!

BubblesandMoney said...

The DE Stevenson books are just charming too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails