Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Monday, April 12, 2010

Is 150 enough?

Friends.

I like having lots of them.

I don't like it when they move on whether physically or just emotionally.

I like things to stay the same.

I read in the book by Dee Bresden The Friendships of Women that friends are either annual or perennial. Some are just for a season and some are for a life time. I want all to be for a life time. Or if friends are to be just for a season, I, somewhat, wish I knew from the beginning or at least knew when the end was about to happen.

I have a friend now that is moving on and I don't like it. I am trying not to take it personally. Maybe there is someone else that needs her more than me now.

I just read that social scientists have concluded that we can only have 150 relationships at a time. Their study was brought on by social networks and all the 'friends' you can have there.

I guess my 150 is changing all the time. I guess yours is too.

Here is are some thoughts Kaitlin found at where-the-heart-is.tumblr.com

when people walk away from you,
let them go.
your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you,
and it doesn't mean they are bad people
it just means that their part
in your story is over.

I found that interesting and comforting.

I need to realize that every gift we have is from God. And friends are truly a gift. I need to be thankful for all that I do have instead of bemoaning that which I perceive is not mine any more.

Thanking God for my 150 today.

4 comments:

Petr said...

Ellen, thanks for writing. I need to come more often.

Unknown said...

You will always be a lifetime dear and precious friend to me!!!

JenniferB said...

I hope and pray I am always one of your 150. You will always be in mine!

Annie said...

That is a very insightful post. I enjoyed it. Quite often, I am on the otherside of friendships, always the one coming and going in this military life. Some friendships can stand the distance and pick up right where we left off and some can't. I am learning to be okay with that. It can hurt though, when the friendship didn't have the strength you had hoped it did. Although, things like Facebook sure are making that easier than ever before. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails