Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Books Books Books

The Tower, The Zoo and the Tortoise by Julia Stuart. I read a review of this book. It said that this book was just like The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society. I loved that book and so I checked this book out of the library with high expectations. I was disappointed. It was slow and I finally just flipped ahead so I can see what happened in the story. Can't recommend this one

Katherine Wentworth by D E Stevenson. Ahhhh. I loved this book. It was so wonderful, very British, just wonderful. It is about a widow and her children and their life. I could read this again. Highly recommend.

The Swiss Courier by Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey. Tricia was recommended to me as an author by MichelleH from church. She knows her! I got it from the library and they have lots by her. This book was set during WWII and it was about the underground. It was great and suspenseful. I got about four chapters in and I knew who the bad guy was but the main character didn't. I couldn't stand it any more. I had to start reading from the back to the front. I was so nervous. It was a great book. I plan to get more of hers. Plan to read it in one sitting.

I'm So Proud of You by Tim Madigan. Andrew suggested this book to me. This book is about a reporter who meets Mr Rogers. It was a very fun and sweet read. I recommend this one.

Sarah Morris Remembers by D E Stevenson. HeatherT recommended this one to me. It was just as wonderful as all the Stevensons, no, maybe even more so! I loved this book. It is set before and during WWII. Request this book from your library now!

Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah. HeatherT also recommended this one. Heather- keep the suggestions headed my way! I read this book while my friend, Gladys, was in the hospital. I could pick it up and put it down as needed and still know the story. It is a story of friendship. I recommend it.

Gerald and Elizabeth by D E Stevenson. Wonderful as usual. A great story about a brother and sister. Really good.

The Book of Peach by Penelope J. Stokes. A great story about a mother and a daughter. I plan to read more by this author. Really good.

Sarah's Cottage by D E Stevenson. This so far is my all time favorite Stevenson book. It is the sequel to Sarah Morris Remembers. I feel like now calling the den, the drawing room and having tea every day. I would love to buy this book so I could read it again and again. Request this one at the same time as the one above, both will be quick reads that you will be sad when you are finished because you have made such new and precious friends.

The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. This was recommended on a book blog. This is a non-fiction book about the Jews in Poland before, during and after WWII. It was factual but not depressing. The author had Polish grandparents and enjoyed hearing their stories about WWII and did some investigating and the book is the result. I highly recommend this one.

The First Heroes- the story of the Doolittle Raid by Craig Nelson. Andrew recommended this author to me. Andrew read the author's book about the Apollo program, that book is on my TBR list. When we were homeschooling, we watched several war movies. One of our favorites was Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. It is about an air raid by the Americans the April after Pearl Harbor was bombed. It was very dangerous and pushed the limits of what the aircraft of that day could do. I have seen the movie at least 100 times. This book was a wonderful addition to the knowledge I gained from the movie. I have even more admiration for those men and what they did. If you don't like history, this is a painless way to gain some knowledge. If you do enjoy it, you will love this book.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails