Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

More Books Books Books!

The Last Letter from your Lover by Jojo Moyers.  I had a trouble getting over the morals in this one.  It was a well written book.  A woman is in a car wreck and has amnesia.  She has forgotten where she was going when the accident happened.  The book tells in flashback form the story.  I do plan to check to see if this author has more books.


Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua.  This book is getting lots of ink, I had to find out why.  I am still not sure what I think about it.

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashers.  Kaitlin and Marisa enjoyed the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movies, which means I have seem them several times.  When I saw that this book was coming out I was intrigued.  This book could be the concluding story for all the girls.  It was somewhat light.  I enjoyed it.  You know what directions all the girls are headed in.


Tolstoy and the Purple Chair by Nina Sankovitch.  This book is on my Christmas list!  Hint hint- if any husband or children are reading this.  Nina reads a book a day to help her grieve the loss of her sister.  This book is about that year, her books and her insights.  What amazing insights.  One of my favorites is her thoughts on when someone recommends a book to you.  She points out that when they do this, they are baring a little of their soul to you and you need to be careful.  All book weren't meant for all people so treat their feelings gently if you don't like the book.  Nina is not a Christian so she didn't have the power of God to help her through her grief or give her eternal security and that did make me sad but I still highly recommend this one!

Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner.  Lots of stories that intersected.  I have loved this author in the past and I will try her again but this wasn't my favorite.  But who knows, you may love it!

Untold Story by Monica Ali.  What if Princess Diana had had plastic surgery and was living in the US right now under an assumed name?  Interesting premiss but the book left me sad.


No Time on My Hands by Grace Snyder.  My friend Laura recommended this one and I am glad she did. This book is about homesteading in Nebraska.  The story is told by the author about her life.  It was a fun read.  It told about the hardships of her life but it wasn't depressing.  One of my favorite stories was how she would take the cows out to pasture and have to stay with them all day.  She would grow tired and want to take a nap.  She would climb up on the back of her favorite cow and sleep- I guess if you are tired enough, you can sleep anywhere.


How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quidlen.  This is an essay written by the author.  It is encouraging plus she gives several great book lists.


The Girl in the Blue Beret by Bobbie Ann Mason.  This book is set in WWII and today.  A pilot who was shot down during the war goes back to Europe to find those who helped him.  Interesting.


The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel.  Another one for my Christmas list- hint hint!  One of Hitler's many goals was to have a city in Germany that the art world would come to and treasure more than Florence, Italy.  He stole so much art for this purpose.  This book is about the men and women who set out to find the art and return it to it's proper owners.  At the beginning of the book you meet the  men and at the end of the book you find out what happened to them all.  I want to sit down with this book and look up all the art that is mentioned in it.

Thanks for all the books you share with me!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails