Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Dare to be a Daniel

Andrew recommended a book for me a few years ago called Second Choice World by Viv Thomas. Andrew read it and wanted me to so we could discuss it. The book begins talking about Daniel from the Bible. He was kipnapped from home by the king Nebuchadnezzar and brought to Babylon along with three of his friends, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. Vs 17 of Chapter 1 says God gave these four youths great ability to learn and they soon mastered all the literature and science of the time and God gave to Daniel special ability to understand the meaning of dreams and visions. Later in the chapter it says that after a 3 year training period they were brought before the king for oral exams along with the rest of the bunch. No one impressed the king like these three. They were put on his regular staff. These four teenagers had to learn the language and the culture and learned it well enough that they were put on Nebby's staff. WOW! They embraced the place they were put without compromising their Christianity. They embraced Their Second Choice World and what an impact they had on it.

As I read this book it was interesting to ponder second choice events that have happened in my life. One of my mama's favorite saying was ' Bloom where you are planted'

The situation with my back has brought this book back to my mind. The doctor and pt have told me that I need to not bend over for the rest of my life. Wow. The stenosis in my spine makes it impossible for me to stand for longer than 10 minutes at a time. This would not be my first choice. Not that I ever really wanted to go run but I sure do now. Just to know I could would be lovely. I wonder how long it took Daniel to adjust. Did he and his friends speak Hebrew to each other? Did they talk about their homes and how it used to be? Did they yearn to go back? What about their mamas?

God has provided so many things for me to do as I sit. I can read, blog, scrapbook, visit etc. I am encouraged by Daniel and his friends. I am fired up to learn the language and culture for this situation that I am in.

Where are you in a Second Choice situation?

2 comments:

RiLes said...

Thanks for the post Ellen! I've really enjoyed your blog! Keep writing!!! It's so fun to hear what you have to say! And encouraging too! I'll be praying for you as you go through this time of adjustment and learning...those times always come it so many different forms. Alrighty...looking forward to your next post!! Blessings!

fgpuckett said...

Isn't it funny, though, that with good attitudes and plenty of faith, our second choice events can end up being incredible blessings? I have to admit, however, that I've never had a second choice event that in any way comes even close to being unable to stand for longer than 10 minutes. I honestly don't know what I'd do in that situation. My second choice events are in the neighborhood of majoring in French in college when I would have rather majored in Math, but I couldn't handle Multi-D Calculus!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails