Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Monday, February 11, 2008

I like the PBGV!

Tonight at 7 cst is the Westminster Kennel Dog Show on USA network. I have been watching this dog show for about 15 years. And the strange thing is 'I don't like dogs'. I do love the history behind the breeds and all the pageantry.

When the children were small we would watch the rebroadcast during the day ( one of the joys of homeschooling) but now we watch it live.

Tonight is the first night with the conclusion being tomorrow night. Two years ago my friends, Bob and KimT went to NY ,in the snow, to attend the dog show. We had a dog show party at my house that year. Carl brought Chinese food for our group. We had 11 in attendance. One couple, Don and Betty, came because they love dog shows or so we thought. No, Don is a dog show judge. Who knew. Our watching of the show changed because Don and Betty( who was an owner, handler) would add comments and tell us things that the common dog show watcher would never know. For instance, the handler's outfit should compliment the dog, the treats that they give the dogs are usually liver that the handler has cooked at home, the whippet is the dumbest dog- if that handler ever drops the leash all other handlers will immediately go after that dog because it WILL get lost.

Don just causally mentioned when all the Best of Group were in the ring for the Best of Show which dog he thought would win. IT WON. I had been texting KimT the whole show with his comments. She shared them with those around her too. They really thought she was something when her friend back in Arkansas picked the winner.

Last year our group grew because we had Bob and KimT with us. Betty brought lasagna and others rounded out the meal. Again, Don and Betty wowed us with their knowledge and Don picked the winner the moment the dog walked into the ring.

Tonight my party will be small with just Marisa, Carl, Teresa and me. Kaitlin has class. But tomorrow our group will be 20 strong! Friends have invited friends. I do love a party. We plan to give Don and Betty prime seats so they can tell us what all we are seeing. Maybe I'll get away enough to blog who Don thinks will win before it is announced.

Have you ever watched the Dog show? Do you have a favorite dog?

3 comments:

JenniferB said...

oh how I wish I could join the party! I dream of the day when I could have the same ministry you do. you are such a blessing!

RiLes said...

I have been watching it recently, but I have to admit that my motives are tainted...I secretly leave it on the dog show for Alex to see so I can subliminally convince him that we need to get a dog :) But I do enjoy watching it...more so now than before...I used to think it was pretty silly, but then I saw that thing on Discovery that talked about the genetics of dog breeding and found it fascinating! Anyhue, hope you all have a grand ol' time!!!

Anonymous said...

i loved the dog show! im so glad my first time to watch it was with you! my favorite is the Pomeranian dachshund and Siberian husky!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails