Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Carl and Charles, Venus and Jupiter

I don't remember how old I was when my brother, Charles, got his telescope for Christmas but I do remember what a new world it opened up for me and Mama. I think he got the merit badge from boy scouts with his newly acquired knowledge. I remember once he was to observe the winter night sky every hour. Mama wanted to see it with him. She got up every hour. She tried waking Charles up but to no avail. She loved all that she saw that night. She really must of loved it because it was a chilly night and she would get her coat, hat and gloves on over her jammies and go out to the front porch where the telescope was. She would look until she was too cold and go back in and jump in the warm bed until it was time to go look again.

I remember learning from Charles the names of constellations like Cassiopeia, Orion and The Pleiades and the planet Venus. We are blessed to live so far out and away from city lights that I am able in their season to see these and many more.

I wake up early. I should probably say EARLY...like before the sun is even thinking about waking up. When I am in bed I look and see the southeastern sky. In the winter I can see more because of the leaves being gone. I try to lay still because sweet Carl is still sleeping away. Yesterday I saw two stars that were unusual together. I knew one was Venus but what was the other... I woke Carl up. "What are those stars?" He looked and said " Venus and I don't know" and went back to sleep. I didn't give it another thought but just enjoyed them and the beautiful sky until I got up.

This morning there they are again.... I wake up Carl again. "There are those stars again" He was ready for me today..." They are Venus and Jupiter. They are the closest they will be during your life time. You will never see this again" Back asleep he is. I lay there pondering this. " How do you know this?" He wakes up again to say "NPR...They have a show every morning on the stars" back sleep . " Arent's you glad I showed them to you so you knew what they were talking about????" MMMMHHHHUUUUM He says drifting away.

So tomorrow get up early and look in the southeastern sky half way up as you are laying on your side and you will see them too. I would invite you all over but we would probably talk and poor Carl wouldn't any sleep!

4 comments:

fgpuckett said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely take a look in the morning. We'll be in Jackson MS, which probably has a few less lights to obscure the stars and planets than Atlanta does!

fgpuckett said...

It was rainy this morning in Jackson and I didn't get to see the planets. Did you see them in Little Rock?

Anonymous said...

such a sweet microcosm of the life of Carl and Ellen. I love you both!

BubblesandMoney said...

I could not see them Sunday or Monday

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails