Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Do you 'thin slice'?

Last night our book club met. We discussed the book, Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. The sub-title is the Power of Thinking Without Thinking. I read the book about a year ago upon Andrew's suggestion. I told KimT about it and she read it. We discussed it on a treadmill at the Athletic Club. When we put it on the book club list, we wondered what folks would think. Well...
First a definition- 'Thin Slicing' refers to the ability of our unconscious to find patterns in situations and behavior based on very narrow slices of experience.
The discussion was wonderful.
Evelyn didn't care for it at all.
JanP said that when we read books like this we need to remember that God is Truth so that Truth is Truth. She enjoyed it and read it to one of her sons when he had eye surgery.
Cathy said that if so many of our decisions are made without us even knowing how we are making them, we need to be steeped in The Word of God. Wow! She enjoyed it so much that she is now reading his book The Tipping Point.
I think Kaitlin 'thin slices' and that is why she is a good photographer.
Teresa said that this book made her think of another book and then found Gladwell quoting the book she was thinking of-The Gift of Fear by deBecker
I found the book fascinating. It really caused me to pondered and stop and think about and then question some of my actions.
I believe I 'thin slice'. I think this can be used to help and to hurt others. I need to be aware of this and only use it for the good.
I 'd love for you to read it and let me know what you think!

5 comments:

Sue said...

It was so interesting. But Gladwell seemed to spend the first half of the book saying that you can trust your gut; and the second half explaining why you shouldn't. Wish I could have been there for the discussion.

William Stonewall Monroe said...

I most definitely do

Anonymous said...

I gleaned from the car salesman. I'm not a salesperson innately~my husband is and he's good. It's learned for me. I thin-slice customers and am learning to knock it off. I never know what someone might buy. The one shoe we didn't think would sell well just blows out of the store. You just can't take people at face value or think you know what they want or who they are. Julie

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing! i'd like to add this to my list of "i need to borrow from ellen" books....but what was the other one on the list?!

BubblesandMoney said...

I agree, Sue, about the book and it's set up.

William, you do thin slice and that is why you can write songs.

Julie, it really made me wonder about wrong first impressions I've made.

Hazel, I've slept since we talked so I am of no help to you about the other book.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails