Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Sunday, May 25, 2008

What's in your wallet?

I used to have this in mine but was afraid I'd lose it so I have it in a safe place now.

My Mama loved the Indy 500. No, that is wrong, She LOVED it. She often told me that the year I was born AJ Foyt was a rookie. I can remember waking up on the last Monday in May to the sound of cars racing through my room, only to realize that Mama had every radio in the house on to the race, including the one next to my bed. (The race used to be run on Monday but they had several years where rain delayed it til Tuesday. Now it is run on Sunday and if there is a delay it can be run on Monday)

Mama loved this race and only this race. She didn't follow Indy races just this one.
When I was six, my family went to Indianapolis. I can still remember the speedway. I remember when I realized that we were going to take a lap. I was scared because I just knew it would be in a racecar. I was relieved when a VW bus pulled up. This card says " I hereby certify that the bearer of this ticket has completed one lap around the Indianapolis '500' Mile Speedway. signed by Tony HulmanI have the race on right now. I have it loud enough so that I can hear it where I'm sitting as I type. I don't keep up with Indy racing until this race is on. We have had the race on for all my children's lives so that it is normal to them to have it on today.

The winner of last years race is married to Ashley Judd- Dario Franchitti
The 2002/2003 winner won the Dancing with the Stars last year- Helio Castroneves. Please remember that the 'H' is silent when you are passing on this useful info.

What a fun memory of my mama!




















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful story from your childhood and tradition you've passed on to your children! i'm so glad you still have that ticket!

your story reminds me of something i gave my mama for christmas a coupla years back. a little booklet with vignettes from my childhood entitled "i remember mama." i borrowed the title from the EXCELLENT MUST SEE black and white "i remember mama" with irene dunn in the lead role. check it out! you won't be sorry!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails