Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Thursday, July 31, 2008

There is a reason…

This post was written by my son Andrew

Caedmon’s Call released a song last year named “There is a reason.” The chorus to the song says…

He makes all things goodHe makes all things goodThere’s a time to live and a time to dieA time for wonder and to wonder whyCause there is a reasonThere is a reason

I first heard the song on the radio while driving around for work. It has been on the radio several times when I was upset about different work or life events.

Andrew Peterson is one of my most favorite Christian singer/songwriters. I have had the privilege of seeing him in concert several times and I am always scouring his website for tour dates near (or far?) from Valdosta. Earlier this year, my wife noticed a tour date in Atlanta in July.

The Test Forum is an annual gathering of the test engineers throughout the state. It is held over three days and half of the test engineers come for the first 1.5 days of the conference and the other half come for the last 1.5 days. It is a fun time for gathering, listening to technical presentations, and meeting new people. I was nominated for the committee this year so I was going to be spending the entire week in Stone Mountain, introducing speakers, facilitating activities, and helping with the general set-up/takedown of the event. On the Wednesday, during the conference, I was supposed to begin taking call in Valdosta. My supervisor worked out a schedule whereby I could work through the forum, and then take call beginning Friday afternoon when I got back from Atlanta.

That same Friday, however, was the date of the Andrew Peterson concert in Atlanta. I had thought about asking one of my co-workers to cover for me so I could attend the concert, but never felt like the timing was right, so I was prepared to miss this concert and catch the next one around.


My first thought when I heard that Ben had died was, “I wonder if this how Jesus felt standing in front of the tomb of Lazarus?” I hadn’t spoken with Ben in many years, but I still considered him a friend. I have many fond memories of playing in their backyard or hanging at their house. I was very sad that Ben had passed on.

Due to budget constraints, a week before it was supposed to begin, the Test Forum was cancelled. It was very sad to see our hard work go for nothing. Once we found out that it had been cancelled, one of my co-workers asked if I would trade with them, freeing me for the Andrew Peterson concert and Ben’s funeral. It was neat to see the reason for the cancellation of the forum.

I really enjoyed the Andrew Peterson concert. I always enjoy his concerts because there is a meaning to every one of his songs, and he tells the stories behind the songs.

The funeral was hard, especially the slideshow. One of the songs, during the slideshow, was “There is a reason” by Caedmon’s Call. I enjoyed seeing the Foxes and laughing with them.

I was thankful for the time with Kaitlin and Taylor, thankful for the foxes, thankful that there is a reason, and thankful that there is more.

“All our lives we til the ground, until we lay our bodies down, and watch the sky for rain”

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails