Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Trustworthy, Clean, Thrifty ...

The National Jamboree for the Boy Scouts of America will be held this year from July 26- August 4th. 45,000 to 50,000 Scouts, leaders and staff from all 50 states will be attending. It takes 45 semi trucks a day to feed all those attending.

This is the 100 Anniversary of Scouting in the USA. Lord Baden Powell began scouting in Great Britain 102 years ago.

This is the Scout Oath. It had to be altered from the Scout Oath in Great Britain where they say 'To do my duty to God and The King (or now The Queen)

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country;
To obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.


There have been 16 Jamborees. The first one was in 1935 to celebrate 25 years of scouting but it had to be postponed til 1937 due to a polio outbreak. At the jambo in 1937 the opening campfire was started with flint and steel. Scouts from all 48 states brought wood for the fire. There were 27,232 scouts at that Jamboree camping on the mall in Washington, DC.


Carl went to the National Jamboree in 1969 in Idaho. He saw Neil Armstrong land on the moon from a big screen TV while there. Andrew went to the Jamboree in 1997 at Fort AP Hill where it has been held since 1981. John was able to attend in 2005 where he had his Eagle Board of Review.


I am proud of all the scouts in our family!




1 comment:

Brad said...

Enjoy. Came, oh so close to an Eagle. But as a hot-tempered, arrogant 15 year-old I naturally couldn't finish what I started...blessings to your scouts.

Brad

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails