Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Friday, January 18, 2008

When grief is fresh , every attempt to divert only irritates

I am always on the look out for things to read about Grief. I was cleaning off my desk and came across a list that a women's retreat speaker gave on books to help with grief. I ordered Healing After Loss by Martha Whitmore Hickman. I intended to give it away but this one is staying here. It is written as daily meditations. You can tell this author has gone though grief. In the times of major grief I have gone through in losing my parents and a brother and in lesser times like friendship lost or loss of dreams, I find myself thinking "Am I losing my mind?" " Why can't I remember this?" "Will it ever get any better?" This book shares the author's thoughts on those and so many more questions that I have had. The book also has quotes from some famous and not so famous folks at the beginning of each meditation. Some I enjoyed were, " In search of my mother's garden, I found my own." by Alice Walker, "It is the nature of grace to fill spaces that have been empty" by Goethe

This book is not a Christian book per say. It speaks of a Holy Presence. I would highly recommend it for everyone. If you have been through grief it will offer comfort and if you have not, you can know how others are feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you found such a sweet resource. I know you feel things so deeply, my friend, and to have someone be able to touch your heart in that vulnerable spot and still leave you whole and grateful is a precious gift of grace. I rejoice with you in that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails