Wow! I just found 5.00$!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A very good read.

The book we read this month for book club was The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig.

All those who attended just loved the book.

His phrases are amazing...The Rembrandt Light of Memory, Finicky and Magical and faithful at the same time, as the cheaper tint of nostalgia never is. Much of the work of my life has been to sort instruction from illusion, and, in the endless picture gallery behind the eye, I have learned to rely on a certain radiance of the detail to bring back the exactitude of the moment.

Rubbing his check as if consulting the wrinkles, Father weighed that argument.

Functional clutter is perhaps the best description of how father managed in the kitchen.

And in my case, Morris Morgan dipped me into Latin like a wick into ready candle wax.

His vocabulary is wonderful, be prepared to need your dictionary on almost every page. I learned: pluviometer, propitiously, proclivity, dray, rusk, autodidacts to name a few. Sandy and Deonna said that they were thrilled to read a book that really challenged them and made them look up words they didnt know.

There are several themes in the books. Two we talked about most are secrets and education.

Evelyn said that her father grew up in the time that this book is set in, so reading it was like hearing her father share stories from his childhood.

There are twists and turns and even as I read it a second time and I knew what was going to happen I was thrilled to see the clues that I missed the first time.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Katy Robertson said...

looking forward to reading your book over Christmas!! i love a good book.

Anonymous said...

may i borrow your copy please? will you bring to church on sunday? sounds delicious and would suit my proclivities (ha?)!

i feel that i miss out so much on life because of my limitedness.....time, energy, etc. excuse my complainin' please. the Word says "do everything without arguing or complaining." uh, well, i blow it again and need His grace.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! I'll put it on my book list.

BubblesandMoney said...

Dearest Z!
Limits are hard but I am learning to embrace the limits and smell the roses that are there. It is like we had tickets to one destination and the train stopped at a place we weren't expecting and we had to get off. I love you my friend and yes you can borrow my book.

Anonymous said...

wow, great description ellen, very poetic. thank you for the encouragement! love you 2.

fgpuckett said...

That does sound liek a good book!

Laura said...

I read a lot of Ivan Doig's books years ago, but haven't seen this one. Thanks for letting me know about The Sugar Queen.

War Eagle!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails